Bookkeeping for Small Business | What is a Bookkeeper?Pat Fontana
When you operate a small business, you have a lot to manage. As you focus on your core service or product, working to ensure that your customers are happy, you also have to make sure your financial records are current and accurate. Bookkeeping for small business is important but may not be your area of expertise. You may be wondering if a bookkeeper is right for your needs.
What is a Bookkeeper?
Maintaining your financial accounts involves much more than simple data entry. A bookkeeper will help ensure that all of your transactions, including expenses and income, are recorded appropriately and are reconciled with your financial accounts. They can also help you with your monthly financial statements and with preparing any necessary reports for your small business.
Reconciling Bank Accounts
One of the most important tasks a bookkeeper will complete for your business is reconciling financial accounts. This process ensures that the transaction details in your records match the details on your bank account statements as well as your credit card statements and any other financial account statements.
Reconciling is critical for the financial health of your business to ensure accuracy and to help you avoid unnecessary fees such as overdraft fees. Although you may use accounting software to keep your records, a bookkeeper can make sure that all transactions are accurately recorded in that program.
Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable
The success of your small business depends on properly managing the money coming in and the funds going out. A bookkeeper can prepare and send invoices and statements, helping to ensure that your business will be paid for your services or products. Likewise, you will need to make sure that you are paying your bills properly and promptly. By processing accounts payable, the bookkeeper will make accurate and timely payments and record them accurately for your financial records.
If you have employees, a bookkeeper can help manage your payroll. You may need help setting up a payroll system, managing tax deductions and payments, and overseeing your workers’ comp insurance. You will also want to be sure that your payroll system is coordinated with your other financial records, so you can have an accurate picture of the expenses involved.
Balance Sheets and Financial Statements
A current and accurate picture of your company’s financial health is critical for your business success. A bookkeeper can manage important accounting documents and maintain the information so that they can prepare income statements, balance sheets, and other financial statements. In addition, the bookkeeper will maintain those records so that you can access them when you need them to review your current situation and plan for the future of your small business.
How Professional Bookkeeping Helps Your Small Business
As a small business owner, you may try to do it all. Something as important as your payroll, accounts payable and receivable, and financial records, though, should be handled by a professional who is experienced with bookkeeping for small business.
How can bookkeeping services benefit you and your business? They can:
- Help you ensure that your personal and business finances are kept separate, so that you are not personally held liable for debts or other issues incurred by your business.
- Identify and prevent errors in your accounting system. When your transactions are properly managed and your records are reconciled on a regular basis, a mistake can be quickly and easily identified before it impacts your business finances.
- Put your business in an optimal situation for streamlining your tax preparation so that you will enjoy maximum deductions.
- Give you a clear, current, and accurate picture of your business’s financial health. When your financial records are properly and regularly maintained, you can identify ways to improve your operations when necessary. In this way, a bookkeeper can help you plan for the financial growth of your business.
- Maintain your financial records so that you are prepared when you need a loan, when you need to buy equipment, or when you consider acquiring another business. You will know exactly what your financial status is at any point in time.
CONTACT CLEAR VIEW BUSINESS SOLUTIONS FOR HELP WITH YOUR BOOKKEEPING NEEDS
At Clear View Business Solutions, we work with you on many aspects of bookkeeping for your small business, including QuickBooks set-up, accounts payable and receivable, inventory tracking and control, payroll tax management, and many other aspects of maintaining your business’s financial health.
We are a highly professional Tucson accounting firm focused on strengthening your understanding of your income and expenses through accurate financial records so you can become a better business owner. Contact Clear View Business Solutions to learn more about how our accounting services can help you and your business become more successful. Give us a call at (520) 544-0177.